Diluting Essential Oils
NOW is committed to offering the purest and most potent essential oils available. With a toxicologist on staff and strict quality standards and testing methods in place, we strive to offer the highest quality essential oils, and we want to make it easier for you to understand how to safely dilute essential oils.
How To Dilute Essential Oils:
Our skincare/carrier oils are the best value on the market. Utilizing both our essential oils (EOs) and carrier oils, you can make your own skin and body care products for a fraction of the price of luxury brands (with the same or better quality!). Get started today with our essential oil dilution calculator and the topical application guidelines below.
Calculate How Many Drops To Add For Your Bottle And Dilution Percentage
|250||2 & ½ tsp||12.5|
|150||1 & ½ tsp||7.5|
|125||1 & ¼ tsp||6|
|60||5 - ⅛ tsp||3.15|
|48||1 - ½ tsp||2.5|
|36||3 - ⅛ tsp||1.9|
Use this essential oil dilution calculator to figure out how many drops of essential oil per mL of carrier oil you need.
Topical Dilution Guidelines:
- When mixing different scents, make sure to stick to the drop ratio in the essential oil dilution chart above. For instance, if you need 8 drops of essential oils for a mixture and you want to use 2 different oils, you would use 4 drops of one oil and 4 drops of the other (or whatever scent ratio you like as long as the total drops don’t exceed 8).
- When trying to determine how to dilute essential oils, always start small with the number of essential oil drops and increase to the dilution ratio as desired.
- This Conversion Chart uses recommended dilutions for adults 18 and older. Please talk to your health practitioner before using essential oils with children and teens, or when pregnant or nursing.
- We do not recommend using dilutions above 5% in topical applications. Ten percent is typical of a perfume but not recommended for all-over skin application.
- Percentages may vary based on the essential oil and application. Essential oils require dilution for topical usage. Do not use undiluted essential oils on your skin.
- For facial applications such as masks or oils, a 1% or less dilution is recommended. For massages oils and other leave-on body products, we recommend a 2% dilution, and for other rinse-off bath and body products, we recommend 3%.
- When using essential oils with children, there are more precautions to consider. Please refer to our Essential Oil Safety for Kids Infographic.
NOW® essential oils should never be ingested. Please consult an essential oil book or other professional reference source for suggested dilution ratios. When in doubt, approve by a licensed practitioner before use. See more on essential oil safety.